Here you will find a selection of the workshops on offer over the year, these have various start dates. For more details email email@example.com to be kept informed or go to http://www.facebook.com/IrishEtchings and Twitter @irishetchings for the latest updates.
Workshops offered over the year include ‘Multi-Arts Taster Course’ and ‘Fine Art Printmaking for Beginners’, Watercolour Workshops, Introduction to Etching, Drawing courses, Life Drawing, Artist Books, Puppetry.
Traditional and classic craft workshops include Eco-Friendly Home Crafts; Recycle, Reuse, Rethink; Applique for Story Quilting and various other craft workshops and classes.
See here for my artist biography.
- Beginners introduction to fine art copperplate Etching
- Botanical Draw & Print – A one day workshop of plant drawing in the morning and then using these images to make a print in the afternoon
- Watercolour Workshops – Spend a day painting en-Plein air in a variety of wonderful specially selected venues. We will use the natural surrounding of landscape or gardens as inspriation. The workshop starts with a demonstration, you will learn how to create and keep your colour fresh and alive. Your course tutor Camilla is an experienced teacher and professional practicing artist and will be on hand throughout the day to help and advise.
- Painting for Beginners and Improvers 5 week course You will be introduced to the key skills in painting and planning a picture. The course will cover use of tones, complementary colours, colour mixing, brushwork and perspective. All this while having an enjoyable three hours of painting in the medium of your choice. (A materials list will be supplied).
- Multi-Arts Taster Course Try out a variety of different media and techniques over a series of classes – discover what floats your boat! Materials supplied.
- Make a Traditional Costumed wooden Marionette. – run on demand only. Expressions of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org
- General introduction to puppetry – exploring some key ideas of the avatar and how to create a puppet presence from simple materials. This might be of interest to anyone who want to make models for use in animation as well as for the aspiring puppeteer.
- Classical Drawing: Develop your observational ability and develop your creativity through a structured drawing class, following the traditional training methods of art academies and art schools through the centuries
- Drawing Boot Camp – an intensive one day workshop in which you will try out 16 different methods and media – find out what you like to use!
- Walk & Sketch – an urban walk with info and sketching, fill a sketchbook and learn the habit!
- Drawing & Developing a Sketch Book This course will take students through the classical training exercises followed by students who attend Art College, following in the centuries old art training traditions in European art. Participants will learn the key elements of draughtsmanship, covering key concepts including tone, line and perspective exploring a variety of media. Furthermore, participants will be encouraged and supported in the development of a sketchbook creating the foundation of the habit of sketching, the root of all art forms. This course will be of particular interest to those who are making art but have never had the opportunity to attend art school. Participants should bring with them any dry media they already have. Basic materials will be provided
- Life studies from a live model with a focus on anatomical draughtsmanship and accurate representation of the figure.
Paper & Book Workshops
- Paper Art Master Class a specialised workshop, looking at the potential for using up-cycled and found materials, based on using cut-out, assemblage and collage techniques. The cost of €60 includes all materials, artwork to take home and light refreshments.Payment is via the bookshop (cash or cheque please, regret no cards). “In this workshop, we will look at the possibilities of using a variety of rescued and found materials that can be collaged and combined. We will learn to arrange and layer colours and textures to embellish your work. We will use layers & textures of fabrics, papers, jewellery and buttons, custom made papers, old letters, maps and photos, tiny found objects and stitching. Do you have something at home you would like to incorporate – maybe from a special event? Bring these with you and they can become part of your design too!”
- Artist’s Books – introduction to this art form exploring materials, simple book making and content. We will look at different types of book constructions and the use of a variety materials and decorative techniques. This workshop would suit the artist who wants to add a few words or the writer who wants to make an object.
- Handmade Note books– Participants will learn how to make from scratch simple handmade notebooks, using simple methods and a variety of materials. Participants will learn how to stitch pages together to make a notebook with a cover and decorative methods will also be explored. The notebook is ideal for a personalised memento or gifts.
- Personalised & themed gift stationary, ‘design your own stationary and fancies’, gift boxes and bags, with themed decoration. Using a variety of craft and found materials.
- Re-cycle, Re-use, Re-fashion!!! Selection of crafts included – you will make gift cards, finger puppets, crafty bags, do decoupage, stencilling, seasonal crafts and more! Inspired by the ‘Mend & Make Do’ and ‘Slow fashion’ Movements, in this class you will rework found materials and unused objects to make something new and useful. Ideal for making the eco-conscious gift and for discovering ways of presenting homemade items. Classes will include relevant seasonal projects as well. Your course tutor is an experienced teacher and professional practicing artist. Participants will receive clear instructional worksheets and templates to keep. All specialist materials and tools will be provided during the course.
Mixed Media & Found Materials Arts Constructions
- Mixed Media Assemblage – All materials supplied. Make a small object using a wide variety of materials, old photos, Japanese papers, maps, fabric, found objects and more. Create a unique picture, scuplture.
Creative Textile Arts
- Story Quilting Inspired by sources as diverse as the historical quilts of the early American settler and contemporary artist quilts this workshop covers basic quilt technique with an emphasis on using appliqué to create a story panel meaningful to its maker for inclusion as a centrepiece in a larger quilt or to be used by itself.
- Fiber art: Appliqué, embroidered surfaces, incorporating mixed media, painted textiles, using abstract and figuarative motifs. Blending traditional with contemporary techniques. Developing the idea using creative visual research.
- Appliqué Story panels. inspired by the Story Quilts of early American settlers. (One or more days possible) Participants would be introduced to basic skills in Embroidery and Appliqué technique, covering design, key stitches, and a variety of fibre art materials.
Traditional Christmas Crafts
- Traditional ‘Bread’ decorations As seen in the Christmas Markets of Austria & Germany, traditional designs to hang on a tree. You will be shown how to make traditional Salt Dough decorations. You will be given designs and methods to follow, as well as the opportunity to ‘break out’ and make modern styles using this wonderful old material. You will learn techniques you can use at home and will receive a worksheet with instructions and recipe to take a way with you/ (Note: Some simple finishing will be required at home after the workshop due to drying times etc).
- Traditional Christmas Crafts – 5 week course Learn to make fun and useful Christmas items using traditional craft techniques in a relaxed atmosphere. Make salt dough tree decorations, personalised Christmas Cards, unique wrappings, boxes, bags and tags. Ideal for presenting home made gifts! Most materials supplied although recycling will be encouraged – materials list will be given.
- Make your own Chrismas cards. Using mixed media and found materials, recyvling last years christmassy bits n pieces, as well a variety of craft materials make a set of christmas cards to either send of give as a gift.
- Christmas gift stationary, ‘design your own seasonal stationary and fancies’, gift boxes and bags, with seasonally themed decoration. Using a variety of craft and found materials.
For more information:
For other workshops and to commission bespoke workshops email info[at]irishetchings.com